A conscious selection of responsibly mined diamonds.
Upcoming Earth Day 2023: Saturday, April 22
The annual celebration of Earth Day recognizes the accomplishments of the environmental movement and promotes the importance of preserving the planet's natural resources for coming generations. For the first time, on April 22, 1970, people worldwide celebrated the inaugural Earth Day.
At Noemi Diamonds, we think that every day should be Earth Day.
That's why we take a look at our supply chain. So, ...
...When is a diamond a responsible diamond?
Responsible mining can play an important role in supporting efforts to reach the 1.5°C warming goal, by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and minimizing the environmental impact of mining operations. Here are some ways responsible mining can contribute:
- Energy efficiency: Implementing energy-efficient practices in mining operations, such as using renewable energy sources, can reduce emissions and help to lower the overall carbon footprint of the industry.
- Waste reduction: Implementing waste reduction measures, such as recycling, can help to minimize the waste generated by mining operations, reducing the impact on the environment.
- Reforestation: Reforestation and re-vegetation efforts can help to mitigate the impacts of mining operations on local ecosystems and wildlife, as well as absorb carbon from the atmosphere.
- Water management: Implementing sustainable water management practices, such as reducing water usage and reusing water, can help to conserve resources and minimize the impact of mining operations on water systems.
- Community engagement: Engaging with local communities and Indigenous peoples to understand their needs and concerns can help to ensure that mining operations are conducted in a way that minimizes harm and maximizes benefits to these communities.
By implementing these and other responsible mining practices, the mining industry can play a role in supporting the transition to a low-carbon, sustainable future and help to reach the 1.5°C warming goal.
Let's memorize the three essential rules (TIM) to make a diamond sustainable.
TIM says: 1. Traceable: The diamond comes from a traceable and responsible source (=from responsible mining). 2. Impact: In addition, diamond production and purchase have ideally a positive impact on the world that exceeds the adverse effects. 3. Measurable: The positive impact must be measurable on all three levels of ESG (environmental-social-governance). Large corporations like miners should publish ESG-reports. Independant organizations audit the reports and approve them.
We have shortlisted some common diamond origins considered sustainable and compared them.
How do we do this? By collecting and comparing data from the company's publications, considering geography and information about local laws, and evaluating stakeholders' opinions.
Now, let's look at the table. The keyword here is "positive impact."
In terms of positive impact, we can see that recycled diamonds have a very positive effect on the world and an advantage over other sources.
What are the advantages of recycled diamonds?
Recycled diamonds are a sustainable and eco-friendly alternative to mined diamonds, as they are made from previously used diamonds and thus reduce waste and environmental impact. Here are some benefits of recycled diamonds:
- Ethical sourcing: Recycled diamonds are often considered more ethical as they do not contribute to the environmental and social harm associated with diamond mining.
- Affordable pricing: Recycled diamonds are slightly more affordable than mined diamonds, as the process of obtaining them is less expensive.
- Quality assurance: Recycled diamonds are of the same quality and have the same physical properties as mined diamonds, making them a great option for jewelry and other uses.
Five Types of Responsible Diamonds: A Guide to Recycled, Lab-Grown, Botswana, Argyle, and Canadian Diamonds
When it comes to diamonds, there are several types to choose from, each with its own unique features and characteristics. Whether you're shopping for an engagement ring, a special piece of jewelry, or just a beautiful addition to your collection, it's important to know the differences between the five most popular types of responsible diamonds: recycled, lab-grown, Botswana, Argyle, and Canadian.
- Recycled Diamonds. Recycled diamonds are diamonds that have been repurposed from existing jewelry. These diamonds are just as beautiful and sparkly as newly mined diamonds, but they have a lower carbon footprint and are more environmentally responsible. They are also often slightly more affordable than newly mined diamonds, making them a great choice for those who want to make a sustainable statement without breaking the bank.
- Lab-Grown Diamonds. Lab-grown diamonds are diamonds that are created in a laboratory using advanced technology. These diamonds are chemically and physically identical to naturally mined diamonds and are just as durable, beautiful, and sparkly. They are also more affordable than newly mined diamonds and have in the average a lower carbon footprint, making them an excellent choice for those who want a sustainable and affordable diamond. We should exclude Lab-Grown diamonds that are made by using fossil energy as they can even consume more energy than natural diamonds from mining. The lab-grown diamonds in our shop are now from partially solar-powered manufacturing, and will be fully solar-powered by 2026.
- Botswana Diamonds. Botswana is one of the largest diamond-producing countries in the world, and its diamonds are known for their exceptional quality and clarity. These diamonds are often more expensive than other types of diamonds, but they are a great choice for those who want a high-quality diamond with a positive social impact. Botswana has a strong commitment to responsible mining and has implemented a number of initiatives to ensure that its diamonds are ethically sourced, like education and social welfare improvements.
- Argyle diamonds. The Argyle mine in Australia, famous for its fancy colour and especially pink diamonds, closed in 2021. As its mining activities have stopped, the site is now converted into a beautiful landscape park. It is responsible to buy these diamonds, both in terms of investment, as also under ESG aspects. Argyle diamonds are from auctioned remaining inventories. They have not much climate impact anymore.
- Canadian Diamonds. Canada is also a major diamond-producing country and is known for its high-quality diamonds. Canadian diamonds are often more expensive than other types of diamonds, but they are a great choice for those who prefer a diamond coming from a highly ESG-regulated mining. Canada has a strong commitment to responsible mining and has implemented a number of initiatives to ensure that its diamonds are ethically sourced. Canadian diamond mining is based in one of the world's most vulnerable regions, the Arctic circle. Environmentalists criticize industrial activities in polar regions. In response, Canada has prepared a new law: the "Metal and diamond mining effluent regulation" under review. It contributes to a (relatively) better-protected environment than other standard mining sites in regions with less pressuring legislation.
In conclusion, there are several types of diamonds to choose from, each with its own unique features and characteristics. Whether you're looking for a sustainable, affordable diamond, a high-quality diamond, or a diamond with a unique story, there is a type of diamond that will meet your needs. Before making your decision, be sure to consider the advantages and disadvantages of each type of diamond, and choose the one that best meets your needs and values.
Botswana diamonds. Debswana is one of the largest diamond mining companies in the world, and it is also believed to be one of the most socially and environmentally responsible. Operating in the heart of Botswana in a rather deserted area, Debswana has a long history of working to improve the lives of local communities and protect the natural environment. We must acknowledge that the region has a bleak economic outlook, as Debswana is the only employer in a remote environment with adverse climate conditions. Here are some of the critical social and environmental initiatives that Debswana is involved in.
- Community Development: Debswana is committed to improving the lives of the communities that live near its mines. The company has a range of programs and initiatives that support education, health, and economic development in these communities. For example, Debswana provides funding for schools and healthcare facilities, and it also offers training and employment opportunities to local people.
- Environmental Protection: Debswana is committed to protecting the natural environment and minimizing the impact of its operations on the local landscape. The company has a range of environmental management programs in place, such as water management, air quality monitoring, and waste management. Debswana also works with local organizations and governments to conserve wildlife and promote sustainable land use.
- Responsible Mining: Debswana is committed to responsible mining practices that prioritize the safety of its employees and minimize the impact of its operations on the environment. The company has strict policies in place to ensure that its mines are operated in a safe and sustainable way. Additionally, Debswana invests in research and development to find new ways to make its operations more environmentally friendly.
- Transparency and Accountability: Debswana is on track to being transparent and accountable about its social and environmental impact. The company regularly publishes reports on its performance in these areas, and it works with local communities and NGOs to ensure that its practices are aligned with their needs and values.
See our selection of exceptional and sustainable recycled and responsible diamonds here: